Featured Post

THE APPLICATION PACKET

Read posting description carefully.  When we have multiple openings, for example one Bio and the other is Energy, often Energy people ap...

Saturday, November 15, 2014

THE CHEMICAL ENGINEERING CANDIDATE - WHO YOU ARE (SURVEY RESULTS)

Here are the results of the survey I conducted to help you (and us) understand who the faculty candidates are:

Looks like most don't go more than 2-3 times (either you get jobs or give up...).  I started going when I was a graduate student (just for experience), so I've probably been 3-4 times myself.

Thanks for the support of my idea... I think its a good idea too, but hard to implement :/  Not giving up though!

Bioengineering and Energy are the most popular (no surprise there).  Should we rename ourselves to American Institute of Bio Engineers? lol

I guess Materials stands out as the secondary theme

Let's quickly compare this to what the universities are looking for.  The graph below is based on what I see on http://rheneas.eng.buffalo.edu/cache/ads.php  I am plotting here the % of that ads that express interest in a particular field (since each ad accepts more than one field, these don't add up to 100)

Looks like the story is basically the same:  Bioengineering and Energy are at the top (though I expect that with the falling oil prices, the enthusiasm about Energy will decline next year, lol).  
  

2/3 are postdocs, that is also kind of expected. ps:  see my other post about postdoc desirability:  http://facultycandidate.blogspot.com/2014/10/should-i-postdoc-again.html


I am surprised to see that there are 6-7% of you who are looking for better offers, I guess?